Wednesday, May 2, 2012

When your body lets you down...

source

it really freakin sucks (and that is putting it politely)! Yesterday was a crummy day physically, but I guess I need to explain...

Back in college (remember those days?? seems like a lifetime ago) I barrel raced and rode my horse allllll the time. My horse was a sprightly young guy who loved to "test" my riding abilities on pretty much a daily basis. He loved to buck and twist and try to get me off every chance he got. Most of the time I could out ride his bucking and we would keep riding like nothing had happened. One day he got the best of me and bucked me off so hard that I could hardly walk or stand up straight for days. It was the worst fall I had ever taken off of a horse and my lower back paid the price for weeks after.

My back occasionally acts up and bothers me, but overall it isn't too bad. Until yesterday. The raging, spasming, feels like someone is sticking me in my lower spine with a hot poker pain returned. I wanted to cry, actually I may have. Every little movement of my spine kills me. I thought going to my yoga class would make it fell better, plus I had already scheduled the babysitter, so damnit, I was going!

BAD, BAD, BAD idea! Every pose hurt, my face winced in pain and I overall probably looked like an idiot. But to make matters worse, my nose would not stop running! UGH! Trying to stay in downward facing dog while your nose is dripping all over the mat and your back is spasming like mad just makes for one shitty yoga class. Don't worry, I bring my own mat. No one is going to be using my snot infested mat in the next class, lol. I left the class walking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, wiping my nose and wanting to cry. I hate not being able to do something that I KNOW on a normal day I can do! I just feel like my body failed me today and it sucks.
This is an exact replica of how I have to walk, no joke!
source

I know there are people out there who are not able to do physical activity because of much more serious or chronic aliments so I should not be complaining. I am just bummed because I feel like I am finally on such a good workout routine/schedule and now this happened. I am going to the chiropractor this afternoon (it will be my first time and to be honest, I am a bit freaked out) and hope that will help relieve whatever is going on down there. I will report back what the diagnosis is tomorrow.

Have you ever been sidelined by an injury? How did you deal?

Oh and FYI...NEVER, EVER Google image search "injury" if you have a weak stomach!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your back. Hope the chiropractor will help out. It's really helped me out with back and neck problems. (I really like the guy I go to if you want his information). I feel soooooo much better afterward! Oh girl, you don't want to know all my sports injuries...too many! :o) Hope you get to feeling better, injuries aren't fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am so bummed that it hurts so much. Hoping to be able to do some kind of working out by next week, but we shall see :)

      Delete