Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Easy Manicure Tutorial

I was never one to do a manicure on myself at home, I usually just had acrylic nails put on at the salon. When I became a mom the first time, I realized that trying to keep up with something that required that much maintenance was not gonna happen! So now I do my nails at home, usually in the evenings after I have gotten at least one kiddo to bed and it works just fine! Here are my favorite products to do a easy mani at home...

*Remove any old polish from your nails. I don't have a specific brand that I always buy, usually what ever is on sale and cheap. This is what I currently use:
A product thumbnail of Beauty Secrets Professional Nail Polish Remover 8 oz.
Purchase here


*Next file the tips of your nails with a nail file or you can do what I do and clip your nails with baby nail clippers. They work perfectly! I have to tell you that regular nail files give me the creeps and I hate to use them. 
Safety 1st Fold-up Nail Clipper
These are the pair I use. Purchase here

*Once the length and shape are to your liking, use a four sided buffer. This thing doesn't bother me so much for some odd reason. Use each of the four sides on each nail, it makes the biggest difference and your nails will shine and be so smooth. I like this one:
Trim Buffing Block
Purchase here
I found mine at Target, but I am sure you can find one at any drugstore.

*Make sure all of the dust is off of your nails and now push your cuticles down with a wooden nail stick. You can trim your cuticles if you like but that also falls into the creeps me out category, so I skip it.

*Now it is time to paint! I usually do not use a base coat. I feel like after you use the 4 sided buffer, the surface of your nails is so even and smooth that it is not necessary. If you still wanted to, I would suggest:

all in one base
Available here

I really like all of Essie's products. They do make a base coat for weak nails and a base coat for dry nails as well. Choose which ever applies to you!

*Color! Choose which ever color floats your boat! I have an addiction to buying nail polish so I am always looking for a new, fun color. My favorite brands are Essie and OPI. They seem to last awhile and chip minimally. Sally Hansen also has a good range of shades and also last awhile. Right now I am loving Kiss Me On My Tulips by OPI and Tart Deco by Essie. Very fun shades for Spring. 
OPI Spring-Summer 2012 Holland Collection Nail Laquer, Kiss Me On My Tulips
Kiss Me On My Tulips
tart deco
Tart Deco
 

*Apply one coat to each nail on both hands and right away go back and apply your second coat. I don't give any extra drying time. If your shade needs 3 coats, put on the 3rd one now. Now you will apply the magic ingredient:
Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Buy here
****Put this on while your nails are still WET!!! This is very important!! This top coat will dry nails in about ten minutes and leaves them looking shiny and pretty!****

*Sit back and relax for a few while your lovely DIY mani dries and that's it! Simple as can be and should not take you more than 15-20 minutes once you get a little routine down. 

Fresh, easy mani using Kiss Me On My Tulips and Tart Deco



4 comments:

  1. how funny I use baby clippers too. I hate regular nail clippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they work so well and I know I wont clip my fingers off, lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the post, I'll have to look for those Base and Top Coats! I can't use clippers, they make my nails chip, so just have to file them down. :o)

    ReplyDelete